RE: Buffalo Wireless

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Buffalo Wireless
  • From: "Timothy Morris" <timothy.morris@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 19:17:23 -0000

Des, trust me, there is nothing more frustrating than having the cards
without the antennae! I get pretty good coverage inside my house, but I
want
to be able to share my DSL connection with my brother's family next door.
The PC cabinet blocks the signal to the extent that it falls back to
1Mbit/s
at about ten feet at certain orientations. Perhaps Ant can share with us
how
secure the SSID system is with no encryption. Can an unscrupulous
individual
with the right kit determine the SSID and snoop on network traffic?

I've just been to the web-site, and these cards look identical to the
Lucent/Orinoco cards, also sold under the Enterasys label - the base models
with no encryption. If so, then you can always use on of their antennae.
(?44 from www.commstore.com - or email chris@xxxxxxx (same company,
different domain) and tell him I sent you) You can tell if it the same
card,
it has a plastic cap on the end of the card which pulls off to expose the
antenna connection.

Looks like the price includes 64bit encryption, but I couldn't find a CE or
Linux driver.

Tim.