RE: Wireless LANs

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Wireless LANs
  • From: "Timothy Morris" <timothy.morris@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 14:50:13 -0000

From: Doogie Brodie [mailto:dbrodie@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 09 January 2001 14:36
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ukha_d] Wireless LANs

Exactly the conclusion we came to while evaluating for office use - just
who
are Buffalo? Are they a rebadger, if so, who's kit, and why are they _so_
much cheaper than the competition..... suspiciously cheaper!

Anyone (ant !) know about interoperability between manufacturers? Eg if we
bought Buffalo, 3com etc to experiment with ranges, are we likely to find
some cards not playing nice with some hubs, or do they all stick to the
standard more or less.

(hopefully not in a DVD standard fuzzy adherence sort of a way......!)

The standard you need to look for is 802.11b and WiFi certification. If it
has WiFi then they should talk to each other. Also make sure that all the
kit can cope with the same encryption level.