Wireless LANS

On the access point thing:

MOST (if not all) of the manufacturers offer drivers which will work in 802.11b Ad-Hoc mode – it is just an option that you select in the configuration program.

Be careful if you want to use the PCCard in a PocketPC, not all manufacturers have drivers available for Windows CE 3.0 (yet)

Don’t buy a card that doesn’t have the option of an external antenna – I found this to my cost. Metal boxes seriously degrade performance. I have a Compaq card installed (that actually has a rubber ducky dipole screwed directly into a connector on the back of the PCI card) in my full tower server case (steel box!), and at some angles the propagation is reduced to about 10 feet! The Compaq and Cisco cards are different than most, in that the PCI offerings are self contained cards in their own right – they don’t have a slot to plug a PCCard into. Compaq don’t offer external antennae, and their support department refused to give me the specs for the connector. Luckily after about a week of industrious web searching I managed to find a company that makes a suitable connector, and have ordered some from the US. I will now be able to make up an extension cable using low loss RG223 (similar to RG58) cable and mount the antenna remotely so that it clears obstructions.

Be careful if you want to go between floors. Most of the antennae I have come across propagate through 360 degrees horizontally but only 75 degrees vertically. It may be OK if the distances are small, and there is no substantial metalwork, which can potentially block the signal.

You may ask why I have gone to all the trouble with the Compaq cards? Mainly because 128 bit encryption is free. Out of the box they come with 40bit (it is actually the same as 64bit – but that is another story), but you can download a firmware/driver update that enables 128bit encryption.

Prices: WL100 (PCCard) £115

            WL200 (PCI Card) £125

Available from Dabs and Microwarehouse.

Once I have got the antennae sorted out, I’ll post further. I’ve had to order the minimum quantity of five sets of connectors, and only need two, so I’ll be in a position to offer three cables (at cost) to anyone on the list who decides to go this route.

And Mark I haven’t forgotten you – I do now have the PCCard sleeve for the iPAQ, but my iPAQ is dodgy and will only load the Wireless card driver when it feels like it, so it has to go back to Compaq (in the US) to be fixed. When it does work it is great, I’ve been watching the live Bloomberg TV feed at 300K (via DSL) on it, and my nephew has been streaming Britney Spears videos when ever he can get his hands on it! Just like a Pocket TV, only more expensive!

Tim.

eGroups Sponsor
Click
here to Win a 2001 Acura MDX