Re: Wireless LANs

On Tuesday 09 January 2001 10:18, you wrote:

> The access point is typically the most expensive bit by far, for
example:

> Cisco 340 series = £845
> 3COM Airconnect = £599
> Intel Pro/Wireless = £599
>
> With client nodes usually costing around the £120 mark in most cases.

Cough! Choke!

I've been running a couple of Access Points and several PCMCIA and PCI
802.11b cards at home for ages, with no problems. Mind you, fortunately I
work for a company that makes them, so I don't have to fork over that much
dough. Even so, I'd be surprised if our AP costs anywhere near that much.
It
should be shortly available in the UK from BT business services (it's
called
a TransPort and is part of the Airway product range).

As Paul says, some 802.11b MACs work in point-to-point. That's called
"AdHoc"
networking in 802.11b-speak. But beware! A lot of cards out there don't
support AdHoc mode.

If you run your 802.11b within earshot of any Bluetooth devices then be
prepared for major throughput degradation - Bluetooth is going to stomp all
over your 802.11b with impunity. Bluetooth devices are ubiquitous now,
aren't
they? ;)

Some guy on here also had probs with a PC right next to a radiator, and had
to build an extension antenna, which wasn't as easy as it sounds. You can
probably find the thread on it without too much difficulty.

cheers

ant
--
ant@xxxxxxx                   /\/\                  www.ant.org