RE: PC Boot Up

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: PC Boot Up
  • From: nigel@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2001 12:58:22 -0000 (GMT)

On 05-Jan-2001 Alan Cockerton wrote:
> Can anyone tell me how to make my Home Control PC boot up without
> having to push the Power Button?

Generally, older machines have a 'hard' power button, where it
actually presses on a switch which connects or disconnects the
mains.  Newer ones usually have a 'soft' button which tells the
processor 'power on now', and it starts up.

In the BIOS settings, there will probably be settings under 'power',
'boot' or 'power management' if you can set it to wake up on LAN,
wake up on phone ring etc etc.

If it's an older type, just leave the power button pressed, and use a
mains switch of some kind (eg X10 appliance module) to turn it on and
off (making sure it's shut down first...)

On that subject, Win98 has a task scheduler which lets you schedule
various tasks for scheduled times- is there still a 'shutdown'
executable in windows that I can use to shut the machine down using
the scheduler?

Nigel
--

Can anyone tell me how to make my Home Control PC boot up without having to push the Power Button?

AlanCC