RE: Printers ....WAS Digital Cameras

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Printers ....WAS Digital Cameras
  • From: "Phillip Harris" <phillip.harris1@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 13:37:12 -0800

Oh how I laughed as I read that!

I have a networked printer (an HP 2100TN) on my desk at work and the only
way that I could install that was - same as you - install it as a local
printer but without printing a test page (as obviously there was no
parallel
cable between my PC and the printer), then reinstall the printer as a
networked printer and ask it to use the same drivers as for the local
printer then delete the local printer. The killer is that the "N"
part of
"2100TN" means that it is supposed to be a standalone networked
only
printer!

Unfortunately in the quest for ever cheaper prices the standards of
production have seemed to suffer for most things. I have to have multiple
machines at home just to make sure that I can run all the software I want
as
none of the software I want is stable on every version of Windoze!

What can you expect though? I can buy a new HP2000C for £280 ... it's a
good
quality, reasonably quick and very solidly built colour printer. However,
replace the four printheads costs £27 each (£108 total), to replace the
four
ink carts costs £32 each (£128 total) ... someone is therefore saying that
either the printer costs about £60 to make or noone is actually making
money
on printers any more (and I'm sure it's the latter) - no wonder they're
trying to tie us into having to use nothing but original manufacturer
supplies!

Phil