RE: RE: (ukha_d) OT Was scan, now Digital cameras

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: RE: (ukha_d) OT Was scan, now Digital cameras
  • From: "Steve Morgan" <steve@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 13:29:40 -0000

<Snip>

To be honest, I'm sick to death of Epson printers! For some strange reason,
I've made a habit of buying them but hopefully I've broken that now.

I've had Epson dot-matrix printers which were great. I think I've still got
one of their later ones in the loft which I'm sure would be fine if I ever
wanted to use it again.

But...

I've used an EPL4000 laser that went through drums like a mad thing.
I've used EPL7100's which were better but the consumables cost a fortune.
I've got an EPL9000, A3 laser which I'm too scared to use because the toner
cartridge is ?180, if you can find one!
The latest was a Stylus 740. Excellent photo-quality printing. Not
particularly good with text on plain paper. Gets through cartridges in no
time as it spends half the day p***ing ink down a little drain at the
right-hand end of the platter. Then, on Christmas Eve, as I was trying to
print a CD label for some software we'd written as a present, it suddenly
decided it was going to shift two inches to the right whenever it felt like
it.

And don't get me started on the drivers - like, they couldn't be bothered
produce native drivers for Windows 95 for the EPL7100 'cos you could use it
in HP compatibility mode [and lose half it's features]!!

On boxing day, I went and bought a HP Deskjet 990CXi. Much quieter, better
print quality (text on plain paper is amazing) and I'm out of the 'Epson
Triangle'!

Glad I got that off me chest!

Steve