RE: Digital Cameras

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Digital Cameras
  • From: "Phillip Harris" <phillip.harris1@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 12:24:21 -0800

I think my problem is that I don't use it as heavily as I should ... I run
through about 500 pages a month (which is why my CMY carts lasted almost
exactly a year each) however I do do a lot of photo prints for friends and
family.

The ink is - in itself - expensive at £30 a shot but in comparison with the
running costs of my old 895Cxi they are working out about 2/3rds of the
price however if I get any more printheads fail before their self-destruct
date (shades of "Logan's Run" here don't ya think?) then that
will bump the
equation more into line with the old 895.

I've not found any compatible inks and I have tried ... I think you'll find
that with the non-volatile memories (nvm) fitted to each printhead and ink
cartridge then producing 3rd party supplies will be impossible. I suspect
that HP include some string of data in each nvm (for example
"(c)Hewlett
Packard") which the printer checks for and if isn't present then
refuses to
work with on the grounds that it might damage the printer or something.
Obviously a 3rd party supplier couldn't include that string as it's a
trademark of HP and therefore HP have their market for that component
protected.

It's more likely that with a bit of investigation some enterprising person
my be able to produce some software an an adaptor cable to be able to read
and adjust the data stored in the nvm on the cartridges and printheads
(then
maybe you could simply refill the ink cartridges with bulk inks). A bit
like
clocking cars (or like changing the colour of the crystal in the hands of
the people in Logans Run again!)

Anyone fancy taking up the challenge?

Keith? *grin*

Phil