RE: Help on CAT 5 Voice and Data

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Help on CAT 5 Voice and Data
  • From: "Steve Gordon" <steve.gordonsolutions@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 23:17:22 -0000

Thanks for everybody's input into this one. I will try to get hold of the
book.

The detail of it is that I'm about to move house and I understand about the
cable running and terminations but, what I'm a little confused with is the
patch panel end.

Example:

My understanding is that if all my Cat 5 ports are wired back to a patch
panel somewhere I can use such devices as mod taps on the phone appliance
end to allow standard phones to connect in to the RJ45's. How do I connect
at the patch panel end? My guess is that I need to dedicate one patch panel
to Phone/Voice and daisy chain the line connection across and simply patch
to a hub for data connections.

Does this sound correct?

Thanks again Steve