Re: URGENT : Ideas Wanted

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: URGENT : Ideas Wanted
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 18:08:40 -0000

Hi Keith,

For me, what would be really useful would be things like:

1) A reliable method for occupancy detection.
2) Part of that would be differentiation between individuals.
3) EVERY module should have a feedback loop to the controller, so that it
can both be polled for its' status, and can also report its' status
independently.
4) All dimmers should of course have what we call "advanced"
features as
standard, IE soft start, preset dim, memory dim. etc.
5) ALL modules should have a useable form of local control, for both on,
off
and dim, and this local switch should be able to be placed remotely from
the
module. - IE have a pair of terminals A-LA the LD10's for connecting a
momentary switch. Note that I include plug-in modules in this as well, - it
would be really nice if AM12's & LM12's could do this.
6) Be able to function co-operatively with another controller of the same
type.  - I don't mean integrate with comfort/Homevision etc. but rather
that
two or more of these controllers should be able to be
"clustered", to
load-balance (if they're cheap enough, IE less than £100 each, then I might
want one per zone in a house), and therefore able to provide redundancy -
if
a controller fails, the others should be able to detect this, and assume
the
workload of the failed controller. - There is nothing worse than your HA PC
hanging in the middle of your 2 weeks in the sun!
7) TV display like a Homevision.
8) Multi-zone IR input and output

Occupancy detection has been discussed at length here before, and as I see
it, there is still only ONE way currently viable, which is a "Star
Trek"
style badge, uniquely keyed to an individual, detected by proximity
(bluetooth?), and with a range sufficient to cover an average domestic
room.
"Dumb" detectors like PIR's will only do "Is there anyone
there", not "Who
is there"

My ideal user interface would be exactly like on ST where the badge tells
the controller your location, and is also a wireless Mic for voice input to
the controller. (Bluetooth again?)

(perhaps I'm just alive 300 years too early?)

Paul G.