Re: Snap!

> Putting a local switch on my appliance module did the trick, for me
> and my wife.  I can see the problem, the only other ways of turning
> the bloomin things on and off are via Comfort's telephone menus or
> the mini-timer at the bedside- neither of those seem to be a
> particularly big advanced step from a 'switch'...

Better to have the stuff switched on and/or off automatically then there's
no need for manual switching.
Other wise it's not really "automated", just remote control.

> Having done that, it is obvious that X10 just isn't fast enough for
> automated lighting- it's actually surprisingly unsettling walking
> into a darkened room and waiting even a second for the light to come
> on

The delay of around 1 second is inherent to X10.

I initially had Comfort signalling HomeVision (to do the logic) via X10.
This took nearly 2 seconds for the lights to come on.  Totally
unacceptable.

With ACE however, the delay is a second or slightly less and I have found
this acceptable.  Most visitors comment how good the system is as they walk
round the house.  I am really only using it in walkways though (plus a
cloakroom and my study).  One tip is to have the lights dimmed to say 20%
in
places like hallways and then have them ramping up as people walk through.

M.