RE: Cat 5 keyboard and mouse extension

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: Cat 5 keyboard and mouse extension
  • From: nigel@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 13:41:53 -0000 (GMT)

On 03-Jan-2001 Campbell wrote:
> Is it feasible without amplifying the signal to link the pc
> keyboard and mouse into cat 5 sockets and to plug them in the
> lounge, both are PS2.

IR would be easier, but it might well work over 5-10m of cat5.  As
long as you connect all the right pins it's _very_ unlikely to damage
anything, so it's certainly worth a shot.  It would be worth looking
at which wires do which function, and connecting data and ground in
the same pair, with power and ground in another pair, for instance

Additionally is this feasible to do with the
> joystick, as this could increase the fun when friends are round and
> we are playing motorbike or GP3 (xmas pressy).

Again, I'd suggest you 'suck it and see'- shouldn't take long to put
together a test extension cable to try it out!

--

Hi  all,

I have been very lucky in obtaining some 48 way cat 5 patch panels with krone connectors from work which I am setting up at home, currently I have 12 cables from the lounge to the patch panel 8 fully wired, 4 part wired for future use. These will mainly be used for audio and video throughout the house.

Being a good husaband :-) (I am nearly getting a new tv) I bought Who wants to be a millionaire (me) for my good wife. As my pc is tucked away in a large cupboard, the family have been watching it on the tv in the lounge, only problem is I am left to operate the pc...

Is it feasible without amplifying the signal to link the pc keyboard and mouse into cat 5 sockets and to plug them in the lounge, both are PS2. Additionally is this feasible to do with the joystick, as this could increase the fun when friends are round and we are playing motorbike or GP3 (xmas pressy).

Campbell

If the whole world smiles
is it a Universal Beam :-)