RE: NTL Cable Modem

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: NTL Cable Modem
  • From: "Timothy Morris" <timothy.morris@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 14:00:22 -0000

I've come into this thread a little late so my comments are not necessarily
directed at Phil's post.

1. You might want to investigate the contention ratio - just in case you
pay
for 512 and end up getting 20!

2. For detailed information on firewalls take a look at http://grc.com. If
you can't be bothered then Zonealarm seems to be the only firewall that
passes all of his tests. If you are just connecting a single PC then the
free version should be fine, but if you want to connect a network you'll be
better off with the Pro version on the gateway machine, and the free one on
the clients.

3. Is a cable modem a true modem (i.e. uses DUN) or does it connect through
ethernet? The one nice thing about USB ADSL is that it uses DUN to connect,
so it is easy to set up nat/ics for connection sharing (providing you are
with the 'right' ISP).

Tim.