RE: NTL Cable Modem

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: NTL Cable Modem
  • From: "John Benfield" <john.benfield@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 09:15:21 +0000

>At =A349.99 it was a bargain ... there were three of use sharing my
previo=
us
>house and we had 13 machines networked and accessing the internet via
the
>service. We went from about =A3100 a month internet phone bills and a
>constantly tied up line to a freely available line and a flat rate of
=A35=
0.
>Superb! At =A325 a month (I thought you had to buy the modem ... a
friend
>who's just had this service installed in Reading has still had to buy
one)
>it's a no-brainer.

Looks like it's a goer for me then. The current detail (for 128k/512k
line)=
is =A325/m inc modem or =A320/m ex modem. As there is only one approved mo=
dem at present and it costs =A3150 the inclusive price looks even better.
A=
s Michael mentioned there is a 64k version of =A310/m (not sure if modem
is=
included), but if your treating yourself I always believe in spending lots=
of money!

One techy questions that I'm sure I know the answer to is this. If my ISP
i=
s now NTL, I can still retrieve emails from my existing ISP smtp/pop
servic=
e can't I?

Also, does anyone use Nortons Personal Firewall software. Currently I use
Z=
oneAlarm on my dialup connection (damn good for a freebie) but want a more
=
configurable program for the cable modem.

Regards
John Benfield

=
plea=
se notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorised
=
copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is
stric=
tly forbidden.