Re: Help on CAT 5 Voice and Data

On Wed, 3 Jan 2001 17:50:46 -0000, you wrote:

>There was a discussion on this list only a few weeks ago about
>books on home automation and cabling.
>Most people seemed to agree that the "Smart Homes for
Dummies"
>wasn't very helpful but someone was just about to read the other
>book shown on Mark's site, "Home Automation and Wiring" by
>James Gerhart, Zoe G. Foundotos (Editor).
>
>I never saw any feedback on this book, has anybody read it or can
>anybody remember who said that they were going to read it?
>
>Tracey

That'd be me probably!  I bought this book just before Christmas, but
haven't had a chance to read it yet - mainly due to moving house.

I did browse through it before packing it away (god knows how long
before I find it again :-) and as I remember it had a chapter or two on
communications, different methods and what you could do with them.  It
might be what Steve's looking for, and it covers a lot more besides.
Maybe you could get your local library to get a copy to let you have a
look at it Steve, before you decide whether or not to buy it.

There's also Keith's KAT5 option to think about, probably in conjunction
with advice from the book on how to plan what sort of networking you're
going to need.

Hope this helps,

David P.

--=20
David_Paterson =3D david.paterson@xxxxxxx =A6 david.paterson@vissci.=
com;

R & D programmer        There are three kinds of people in the world -
Visual Sciences Ltd.      those who can count, and those who can't...