RE: comfort beginners guide

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: comfort beginners guide
  • From: peter.white@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 23:01:03 +0000

Hi all

Does anybody know a good place to look for a decent FAQ for Comfort??  I've
had
a long look at their website, but it doesn't really give me the answers I
need.
Alternatively, if any of you are able to spare a couple of mins answering
the
following it would be much appreciated....

History:  Currently have a regular alarm installed, but someone has offered
buy it from me, giving me the almost perfect justification for upgrading to
Comfort, though I've not seeked official spouse approval yet.  The house is
pre-wired for PIRs & door sensors, but unfortunately that's it.  Lots
of X-10
modules scattered around too with Homeseer controlling.

Need: A direct replacement for my current system, but obviously with a few
of
the nice features that come with Comfort.  Main queries:

1. Presumably the control unit needs to be near a 13amp outlet, a phone
line and
the various alarm wiring?

2. What components would I need for a basic 'starter' set-up?  I'm guessing
I'd
need to buy the bellbox and PIRs separately?? If so, will any of the
generic
types do?

3. If I want to programme it using my PC is it a full-time connection, or
just
connected when I'm programming it? (ie do I need to wire in a PC connection
or
can I sit next to it with my laptop)?

I think that's all.  If anybody has any golden nuggets of advice I'd be
glad to
hear them!

Pete

PS Unlike most of the people on this list it seems, I don't 'do'
programming,
nor do I have much experience with electronics, though obviously I wired in
my
last alarm without any problems - is this enough knowledge to be able to
wire in
a Comfort system?