RE: Dome Auction

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Dome Auction
  • From: "Phillip Harris" <phillip.harris1@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 01:19:18 -0000

Nah ... Real men don't need to brag about size as they know that it's the
performance that's the final measure...

... but they also know that size does matter too!

Phil

not the case
plasma @1024x768.
>   >>
>   >> Widescreen is great for Movies but no good for PC's at the
>   >moment because
>   >> everything is designed for a 4:3 ratio PC monitor.
>   >>
>   >> One further point of worry about plasma is that many DVD's
are
>   >> 18:9 or 21:9
>   >> and show black bars even on a widescreen TV. with plasma
this
>   >> means that the
>   >> area covered by black bars would be worked less than the
centre
>   >> area of the
>   >> screen and after time full screen material would have
brighter
>   >stripes top
>   >> and bottom.
>   >>
>   >> I got called out to a local pub beause their projector had
>   >bright green
>   >> band at the top of the picture. I looked at it and thought
>   >that something
>   >> really dire had happened to the CRT projector as it was the
> same on all
>   >> channels with the top 6 inches of the picture looking
bright
>   >and the rest
>   >> being dull and generally "yucky". It was then
that I realised the
>   >> bottom of
>   >> the picture was 6 inches above the bottom of the screen.
>   >>
>   >> The screen was a pull down type and someone had pulled it
down
>   >another 6
>   >> inches. The "normal" viewing area of the screen
was stained
>   >brown from all
>   >> the nicotine but the top 6" was still white where it
had been
>   >rolled up in
>   >> the housing. That is the effect you would get on a plasma
>   >after the centre
>   >> was more heavily used.
>   >>
>   >> We have also just replaced a Barco 808 CRT data projector
after
>   >> 20,000 hours
>   >> with a brand new Barco Cine CRT. That is the beast I would
>   >love but it was
>   >> 13500 + vat !!!
>   >>
>   >> The guns on the old Barco had weakened after all that time
> which is not
>   >> surprising. The area of the tubes used to show the picture
was
>   >> grey compared
>   >> to the unused area of phospor. You still cant beat a CRT in
> my opinion.
>   >>
>   >> As you said initial impact is something you have to
> overcome. LCD looks
>   >> brilliant when you see it briefly but you soon spot all the
>   >> faults with the
>   >> picture and the running costs are horrendous. That Barco
may seem
>   >> expensive
>   >> but 16K to watch at least 10000 movies its under £1 per
hour.
>   >Other CRT's
>   >> start at aroung 3 grand and are even better value for money
but I was
>   >> talking about the Rolls Royce of projectors :-)
>   >>
>   >> Also LCD projectors are noisy because of high speed fans to
>   >get rid of all
>   >> the heat.
>   >>
>   >> Keith
>   >>
>   >>
>   >>
problem
>   >of big screen
>   >> TV in a typical UK sized house.
>   >>
>   >> However, I looked into the plasma screen market fairly
>   >carefully about 18
>   >> months ago when my employer was looking for something to
give
>   >a bit of wow
>   >> factor to the boardroom and the only one that was in any
way
>   >suitable for
>   >> what we needed (video plus graphics) was the 50"
Pioneer.
> When I looked
>   >> about 6 - 8 months ago for myself I started at the 50"
Pioneer
>   >> (then £10.5k)
>   >> but even that wasn't up to what I considered to be a good
>   >enough standard.
>   >> The contrast wasn't great, it leaked charge between pixels
giving
>   >> a glowing
>   >> edge to film credits and - well, there was a whole list at
the
>   >time which
>   >> I've forgotten by now.
>   >>
>   >> It's like anything that you see ... you have to get past
the
> immediate
>   >> impressiveness of a 50" screen in a package that you
can hang
>   >on the wall
>   >> and actually look at the resultant performance.
>   >>
>   >> I would say that we're still a few years away from the
ideal
>   >> plasma screen.
>   >>
>   >> Oh yeah ... one other thing about the plasmas that I
> disliked. THE FAN
>   >> NOISE! If anyone has left the 40" plasma running in
the boardroom
>   >> then I can
>   >> hear it as I pass the boardroom door.
>   >>
>   >> Phil
>   >>
improve the
>   >visibility
>   >> > (smoked glass screen) and if you have ever tried an
anti
>   >glare screen on
>   >> > your PC monitor you will realise just how much light
gets
>   >> absorbed by the
>   >> > anti-glare screen meaning you have to drive the
monitor/plasma
>   >> even harder
>   >> > :-(
>   >> >
>   >> > Keith
>   >> >
work and
>   >> we've probably
>   >> > had it no more than 18 months. It doesn't show the
same things
>   >> > all day, it's
>   >> > not even showing things all day but it does usually
get left on
>   >> > all day (9 -
>   >> > 6) - even though people are told to power it down
after use. It is
>   >> > *definitely* getting greyer as time goes on ... it's
certainly
>   >> > not as bright
>   >> > or contrasty as it used to be.
>   >> >
>   >> > I'd be very wary of buying a plasma at the moment -
especially a
>   >> > second hand
>   >> > one. I've been and looked at several that were current
six
> months ago
>   >> > (including the Pioneer 50" XGA) and I really
didn't think that
>   >> > they were at
>   >> > a point where they were suitable for long term
domestic use.