RE: Dome Auction

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Dome Auction
  • From: "Phillip Harris" <phillip.harris1@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 14:42:04 -0000

Cheers Keith.

I've actually been *VERY* disappointed with plasma screens to date ... they
really do seem to be the perfect solution to the old problem of big screen
TV in a typical UK sized house.

However, I looked into the plasma screen market fairly carefully about 18
months ago when my employer was looking for something to give a bit of wow
factor to the boardroom and the only one that was in any way suitable for
what we needed (video plus graphics) was the 50" Pioneer. When I
looked
about 6 - 8 months ago for myself I started at the 50" Pioneer (then
£10.5k)
but even that wasn't up to what I considered to be a good enough standard.
The contrast wasn't great, it leaked charge between pixels giving a glowing
edge to film credits and - well, there was a whole list at the time which
I've forgotten by now.

It's like anything that you see ... you have to get past the immediate
impressiveness of a 50" screen in a package that you can hang on the
wall
and actually look at the resultant performance.

I would say that we're still a few years away from the ideal plasma screen.

Oh yeah ... one other thing about the plasmas that I disliked. THE FAN
NOISE! If anyone has left the 40" plasma running in the boardroom then
I can
hear it as I pass the boardroom door.

Phil