RE: Inductive Load Dimming

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Inductive Load Dimming
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phillip.harris1@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 11:44:44 -0000

OK ... here's info that I can put in *FROM EXPERIENCE*.

I bought 4 sets of the "Massive" (brand) low voltage lighting
sets from
HomeBase when they were on special offer at something like £14 a set. This
was before I got into X10 and so therefore the type of transformer they
came
with wasn't an issue. As it is they come with an electronic transformer and
so when I started playing with X10 I thought I wouldn't be able to control
these.

I bought a couple of LD10/11's and a CM12 from Lets Automate as an entry
into X10 and - needing a handy lighting load - just decided to try a set of
the Halogens (as they were by the side of my desk still in their boxes).
They worked fine with the transformer fed directly from the output of the
LD10. As an additional "test" I pulled out the other three sets
of lights
and hooked those up too to the same LD10 (giving a 400w load) and still the
lights switched and dimmed reliably.

Maybe this is unusual, maybe this shouldn't have worked ... all I can say
it
that it did!

Now ... if anyone wants to talk about switch mode PSUs from PCs frigging up
X10 transmissions then I can vouch for that! If I plug my TW7223 into the
same set of sockets that power my PCs / monitor / scanners / network switch
/ keyboard switch / HomeVision / desk lamp / etc. then half my house is X10
"blind", however plugging it into the socket which is
electrically adjacent
to it on the ring main seems to reach the whole house no problem!

*sigh*

Phil