Re: Video ripping question?

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Video ripping question?
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:14:55 -0000

Now >THATS< what I call usefull information!! :)

A Trek episode is about 40-45 minutes, so by you're reckoning, I should be
looking at 140/150MB per episode, (actually, I reckon I could even tolerate
a little bigger than that, up to say, 200MB/episode), which allowing for
that size, would give me 5 episodes per GB,
or roughly 210 episodes of one of those nice 46GB drives. (which are
>really< only 42GB actually, thanks to the questionable practice of
quoting
a "decimal" gigabyte...)

What is the source you're capturing from? - Sky Digital? VHS?...

Paul G.

>Hardware:
>
>ATI All-in Wonder 128 Pro. The same capture chipset as the Radeon, half
the
>price.
>
>MPEG capture cards blow. you don't >want< MPEG-2 You only need to
use it if
>you are going to VCD. as you aren't, you would be better with:
>
>Codecs:
>depends: if you are happy with .asx as a file format, download the
windows
>media encoder tools, and use the MPEG4v3 Codec. If you would prefer
.avi
>(which I recommend) then you should use the DivX ;-) be careful not to
use
>Angelpotion, as it is rather broken.
>
>To do the actual capture use VirtualDub, and use the internal capture
>engine
>rather than the AVI compatibility mode.
>
>I use settings of:
>
>400x300, 25fps compressing straight to DivX using the fast motion codec
>with
>a keyframe every second, and a max bps setting of 2100. This captures
an
>episode of "The Simpsons" at a quality far in excess of my
VCR.