RE: Linksys wireless prices

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Linksys wireless prices
  • From: "Phillip Harris" <phillip.harris1@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 18:48:30 -0000

Mark,

I'm having great results with the Lucent ORiNOCO Residential Gateway kit
my laptop browses the web and picks up email all over the house and it
really has worked lika a charm. The built in modem (and dial on demand from
any of the networked PCs) is great - the only problem I have is with the
p**s poor logon times  from BT Surftime causing the first request for an
internet connection to time out before the connection is made which is only
a problem when - like me - you have a PC checking email every half hour as
it can't do that unattended (I have actually left my od modem hooked up for
that purpose) but that's not really a fault of the Lucent kit. More the
crap
response times of BT's ISP service where it invariably takes longer than 70
seconds to connect to their servers and validate my account details.

I was even able to access my network from a neighbours house the other day
whilst I was setting up a CD cutter for them and needed some files that I
had at home - probably 60m away!

The only "downer" about the Lucent kit is that after being used
to a 100Mbit
wired network then transferring files over a 10Mbit link is a bit of a drag
but I have managed to cut CDs from network shares across the wireless LAN.

Phil

They use a
> different firmware version and US cards won't be supported in the
> UK.  OK, I
> would accept another 5 or 10 quid because of this but not the
> huge increase
> on US prices he is quoting.
>
> I have also obtained the trade prices and even if we could get
> them at that
> the US stuff is STILL much cheaper.
>
> I'm moving to the US...anyone else coming?
>
> :-(
>
> M.

Mark's site