RE: Controllerless distributed automation

  • To: "'ukha_d@xxxxxxx'" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Controllerless distributed automation
  • From: Mark Harrison <mark.harrison@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 12:53:26 -0000

Kingfisher plc
Registered Office: North West House, 119 Marylebone Road, London NW1 5PX
Registered in England, Number 1664812

This e-mail is only intended for the person(s) to whom it is addressed and
may contain confidential information.  Unless stated to the contrary, any
opinions or comments are personal to the writer and do not represent the
official view of the company.  If you have received this e-mail in error,
please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this message
from your system.  Please do not copy it or use it for any purposes, or
disclose its contents to any other person.  Thank you for your
co-operation.

How about:

Each device sends a broadcast to every other devices whenever it changes
state (either because it decides to because it wants to, or because it is
manually triggered.)

Each device "listens" to every broadcast, and then tries to work
out whether
it needs to change state.

BUT

Rather than making this determination based on a set of preconfigured
rules,
it instead builds up a "historical usage profile" using
KnowledgeBase
techniques.

The downside is that you spend the first few weeks having to change
everything manually. The upside is that you don't have to think about it.

I gather that some of the high-end CEDIA stuff now works this way.

It does somewhat rely on having _all_ the inputs avaialble: eg IR, RF from
legacy controllers, thermostats, all light switches _broadcasting_ state
changes, occupancy detectors, volume detectors...

Mark