Sent: Wednesday, February 14, 2001 12:26 AM
Subject: Re: [ukha_d] X10, PCs/Homeseer and Reliability

>Sorry, this is another one of my patented incoherent e-mails so I'll summarise (or try to ;-)):
>what prompts people to use something like HV/Comfort rather than a PC? Is it purely price?

A dedicated hardware solution like Comfort or HV is definately more robust than a PC solution.  In the case of HV vs HomeSeer (for example) you'd also have to add on quite a bit of hardware to bring your PC up to the same capabilities as HV.  You'd need video in and out, IR Tx and Rx, X10 Interface, digital and analogue I/Os as well.

Once you had all these add-ons it would be unlikely they would interact as flawlessly as in the HV design.

However for many people HomeSeer and a PC will be more than enough for their needs.

Depends what you want to do?

M.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
www. .com