Re: PC suitable for HA controller?

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: PC suitable for HA controller?
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 23:47:17 -0000

<Free Hardware Offer>

Errm, I have a stash of all my old hard disks lying around in my junk
cupboard, which I seriously am never likely to use again. (but I never
throw
anything out!)

I know I have a bunch of SCSI disks, all 2GB, most wide-SCSI (68-pin
connector), but there might be one or two narrow-SCSI (50 pin). As for IDE
ones, unfortunately most of my stash are just 850MB ones, and I can't
remember how many I've got left, as I have been pulling them apart to use
as
fridge magnets!!

Free to anyone who thinks it's worth the cost of the postage...

<End free hardware offer>

Paul G.

>From: "Oliver Pell" <odp@xxxxxxx>
>To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: [ukha_d] PC suitable for HA controller?
>Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 23:27:57 -0000
>
><snip>Haven't a clue what it would be worth though?
>
>Not much ;-). Seriously, a P-Pro 200 should probably be fine unless you
>want
>to run voice recognition. The 1GB HDD might be more of a problem -
though
>it
>depends what OS you want, of course. If you want to run a reliable
version
>of Windows (i.e. NT/2000) or a more than minimal install of Linux then
I'd
>recommend factoring in the cost of buying an new hard disk as well.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Oliver.

HA
>   >controller.
>   >
>   >Specification is Pentium Pro 200. 128mb ram, 1gb ide disc.
>   >
>   >Interestingly it has 4x PCI and 4xISA slots (1 shared), so
>   >up with expansion cards such as Sound and Serial Ports is easy
(i have
>   >an odd mix of cards around so the mix of slots is handy.
>   >
>   >Could someone advise on the pros and cons od using this PC for
HA and