Re: Both the despised subjects in one email...

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Both the despised subjects in one email...
  • From: Barnett_Ray@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 11:02:49 -0000

> Has anyone tried the Buffalo AirStation PCMCIA network cards in an
ePods
> with their Buffalo Airstation Access Port?

Yes, I have this setup - a few observations:

The whole thing works brilliantly, except for Terminal Server Client.
I have periodic network drop outs when connected to TS, resolved by
removing network card/switching ePOD on and off, then re-connecting.
A bit of a pain, and confirmed as a problem by someone else. Best
theory so far is that the ePOD processor can't keep up with the LAN
card and TS so the network connection dies. Extended LAN activity
using other apps doesn't produce this problem.

I've done a little testing, and as Tim suggested a while back, height
appears to be at least as if not more important to range than a
central location. I've moved by base station from the cupboard under
the stairs back up to my PC room upstairs, and have on average
improved reception. This reinforces the benefits to me of an external
base station as opposed to an internal PCI card, as it's a little
harder to move PCs about and stick them on tall shelves.

Costs, AP versus PCI wireless card. True the RG1000 gateway setup is
more expensive than two PCMCIA cards and a PCI adaptor. However, from
the supplier I bought from, if you need to add an external antenna to
your PCI card (which seems likely if you're running it in a metal PC
on the floor), then the costs become comparable to within a few
pence. Each to their own, but for the same price, I prefer the
flexibility of a dedicated hardware device.

Ray Barnett.