RE: window activation

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: window activation
  • From: "Dan Hoehnen" <dhoehnen@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 07:57:37 -0500

Outlook is hard to control via keystrokes because its main window title
changes based on which of its windows you have displayed.  You'd think MS
would know better and would make the window title start with
"Outlook" all
the time and then append the current window name to the end.  But, they
don't, so you have to look at what the window title is and use that.  For
example, when I have the Inbox displayed, I can send keystrokes by using a
window title of "Inbox".  I can also use "Inbox - Microsoft
Outlook".

To close Outlook, send ALT-F4 to it.  Here are 2 VB lines required to do
this (assuming the Inbox is the active Outlook window):

AppActivate("Inbox")
SendKeys("%{F4}")

If this won't work, myself or someone else may be able to write a small
program that would close Outlook whenever it is run by using the COM
interface to Outlook.

Dan