Re: Homeseer Phone CLI compatable modems

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Homeseer Phone CLI compatable modems
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 11:39:46 -0000

>Guys
>
>I'm being a bit lazy, but I've searched around for a few of the CLI
>compatible
>modems on the Keware site, but not having much luck.
>
>Does anybody know what UK available modems are OK to use (and don't
cost
>silly
>money)?

I'm using a Hayes Accura Messagemodem that I Picked up just before Xmas on
special offer in Dixon's for just £37. It "sort of" works, in as
much as
everything works initially, but I have subsequently discovered that the CLI
only seems to work for a short period at a time.

IE, I will send an "AT#CID=1" to the modem to turn the feature
on, dial in
to it to test it, and the CID data is reported. Repeat this test any number
of times over the next couple of hours and it still works OK. _However_ at
some point later on, it >ALWAYS< stops working again. I have thus far
not
been able to determine any cause or pattern to this behaviour - it's just
as
if someone had entered an "AT#CID=0" to turn it off again. Every
time it
happens, I just have to turn the feature on again.

What this means with HSP is that whenever HSP starts up, it initialises the
modem, so the CID detection works OK, and Mary announces the call. But then
without failure sometime later (and it can be a totally variable amount of
time), HSP stops announcing CID when a call comes in. I initially thought
this was a HSP bug and discussed it with Rich at length, but after some
basic testing we established it was due to the modem. stopping &
restarting
HSP resets the whole thing until the next time it stops...

To be honest, I haven't really had much time to work on this problem any
further in recent months, so I haven't tried to fix it yet. I'm hoping that
I can get the modem to behave! - I haven't tried saving the config to the
NVR immediately after sending an CID=1 yet....

HTH

Paul G.