45 Back Boxes

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: 45 Back Boxes
  • From: "tracey.gardner" <tracey.gardner@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 10:27:19 -0000

Thanks for all the comments guys!

I was begining to think along similar lines whilst I was
chopping the holes out!

I don't have one of those square hole cutters but I've worked
out what I find to be quite a good system.

Firstly I cut the outline of the hole using a small angle grinder,
then I drill a series of 10mm holes to the correct depth for the
back box, into the area to be removed.
I then get nasty and smash out the remaining material with a flat
pleined hammer.
The use of the hammer makes the job very quick and this way I can
get very close to the finished job.

The final stage is to use a hammer and chisel to get the hole to
exactly the correct depth for the box.

I've made templates from 10mm MDF which fit around the outside of the
backbox and enable me to get the hole to exactly the right
depth.

BTW all my holes are being made in thermalite block albeit that some
of them are 7 Newton which are fairly difficult to cut.

Tracey

>With that many boxes it would have been easier to mount the
>boxes to a bit of plywood and then build a wall round it :-))
>
>Keith

>Why bother with the plywood just stack the boxes up, you could
>find the Wireless Epod dislikes all that metal though.
>I hope you have one of those square hole drills Tracey.

Alancc