RE: House wiring - follow up

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: House wiring - follow up
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 13:45:57 -0000

If you are choosing STP on the basis that it is more robust for pulling then you are using the wrong techniques for pulling cables. Millions of miles of CAT3, CAT5 and Alarm cable have been pulled in over the years without any problems. If you are using so much force that you feel the added strength of a foil screen will protect your cables you are living dangerously.

I cant dispute Alan's claim about stranded cabe as all alarm installs I have seen are stranded and a mate who works for an alarm company told me it was because solid wire broke too often.

Solid wire does have some drawbacks....
1. It isnt flexible. -  Bending it too often will cause it to break
2. It CAN be unreliable under screw terminals.

The secret to terminating solid wire is to only wrap it 180 degrees round the screw. The mistake a lot of people make it to do a complete turn around the screw. This means the wire rests on itself and as you tighten the screw it cuts through itself and breaks. I used telephone cable for my alarm with no problems at all (but only because I had a lot of it and no alarm cable). It can also be a problem putting two solid conductors under the same crews as the same cutting action can apply. If you ned multiple solid wires under the same screw, twist them together first and DONT overtighten the screw.

Likewise, stranded cable is not ideally suited to Insulation Displacement Connectors (IDC) aka Punch Down because instead of the blades cutting into the wire as they do with a solid conductor to form a cold weld, the individual strands move so you only end up with surface contact instead.

IDC's should only have one or two cables terminated and both should be the same type and size of conductor otherwise poor connection will result.

Use the proper cable AND tools for the job.

Fixed Data and Telephone wiring = SOLID
Patch cords and Alarm Wiring = STRANDED

HTH

Keith