Dumb question re power adapter...

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Dumb question re power adapter...
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 10:24:17 +0000

Hi all, - a dumb question if you will indulge me.... (too much sherry!)

I picked a HP scanner the other week reduced from £80 to £30 as it had no
power adapter. (which I knew I'd be able to get for about a tenner).

However, having had a poke around, it looks like the power adapter from my
laptop is pretty close to being perfect... (apart from 1 thing...)

The Scanner wants 15V, 0.8A, centre positive.

My laptop power adapter has exactly the right size plug, and it is centre
positive, and it also outputs 15V. However, it is also rated at 3A...

So my dumb question is: - is the rated output current stated on the power
brick what it is "capable" of supplying, or what it will pump out
regardless... i.e. can I plug it into this scanner safely? - is it the case
that the scanner will just draw 0.8A which the adapter will obviously by
happy to supply, or will the adapter always blat 3A into the scanner?

Ta...

Paul G.