Re: Christmas lights AM or LM?

On Friday 21 December 2001 15:33 pm, Stuart Cummings wrote:

[HTML edited out]

> I have a set of xmas tree lights with a control box that changes the
> flashing pattern each time you press a button on the box. The thing is
> every time the lights are turned off/on it defaults to the first
pattern
> and I have to click the button a few times to get the one I want,
which is
> a big pain when the box is behind the tree. I was planning to plug
them
> into a lamp module and then dim to 0% or maybe 1% instead of switching
off.
> They should then retain the pattern when I brighten them back up
again.

> Does anyone know if the LM is suitable or will I blow up the box? I
guess
> an AM won't help 'cos that would be just like turning off at the
socket.

As others have pointed out, dimming down wont work, for the reasons they
have
stated, but also when an LM is dimmed down to 0%, it still draws 25% of the
power it would if dimmed to 100%.

Not directly relevent to your question, but worth bearing in mind all the
same.

[Mental Note, add this to the FAQ]

--

Stuart Grimshaw <stuart@xxxxxxx>