RE: Is this safe for running Power and cat 5?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Is this safe for running Power and cat 5?
  • From: "James Hoye" <james.hoye@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 09:28:29 -0000

> it is all properly weather protected. Second would the seperation
between
> cat 5 and the power be enough or would I need to bulid in some kind of
> shielding?

If you use SWA cable for the mains, then you can clip CAT5 cable directly
it with no separation.  Otherwise, you should aim for 50mm air gap or
insert
a non-conductive spacer.  Why not use some PVC mini trunking without the
lid
as a 'cable tray' for the mains - similar to
http://www.screwfix.com/product.phtml?9624

Personally, I'd go with SWA - but you will need glands at either end, IP54
for internal connections, and IP66 if made externally.

Also run more CAT5 than you think - I know someone who installed loads -
but
still not enough ;)

James H