Re: House wiring - follow up

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: House wiring - follow up
  • From: simon rafferty <musashi1977uk@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 22:30:56 +0000 (GMT)

--- Ian Davidson wrote: > Hi all> > Some of you may remember weeks ago I had a quote for> the wiring to my new house which was exceptionally> high. Well I resubmitted my details this time with> their pricing i.e. for them to fit an extra> telephone point it is £30-00. It would therefore> follow to fit a RJ45 network point would also be> £30-00 etc etc. It has taken them six weeks to get> my new quote ready which again was not broken down> and was over double the pricing I had worked out !> > Has luck would have it I was working just a couple> of miles down the road from there head office when I> received the phone call telling me the price I> decided to pay them a visit ! Whilst discussing my> quote in there reception with a couple of members of> staff a gentleman came by stopped and introduced> himself as the MD of the building company and> invited us all to his office. In the office I showed> them a telephone point and RJ45 network point and > explained that over £60.00 to install the network> point was over the top which they then agreed. To> cut a long story short there electrician is to wire> all the mains electric (with some alterations at a> price !) and I am allowed on site to wire for cat5e,> alarm, tv etc. I also found out there electrician is> not to pleased. > > I know what cables I want and where I want them but> are there any regs as to where I have to route these> cables, I know for mains cables there are but what> about the other stuff ?Nope (just dont run data and mains too close together)

My only advice is use CAT5e (shielded) for your CAT5. Where you think you will need 2 cables run at least 3.

Netshop (www.netshop.co.uk) are a useful source of networking kit. If you want to put in a standard phone point and a UTP data point on the same face plate netshop do a tidy solution called Mini5, the ones I use are Cat5e Low Profile Dataport UTP/BT(Full Master) for £8.05 incl the VAT Use your CAT5e cables for phone and Data.

If you are putting in CT100 run a strand of CAT5e with it (It is useful for KAT5 modules later)

What is the easiest way to cut out for the back> boxes ? are there tools to make life easier and can> they be hired ?The easiest way to cut back boxes is using a back box cutter (ELECTRICAL BOX SINKER ) from screwfix (www.screwfix.com/) but it will cost you £85.00 icl VAT and you will need to beg, borrow or hire and SDS drill with roto-stop..but let me asure you after cutting 30 or 40 back boxes by hand (taking upto 20 mins each) you will wish you had purchased on of these, they do make life easy!! http://www.screwfix.com/PICTURES/6114.jpg

 just trying to get prepared as I know there sparkie> will be waiting for me to break a reg some where !> >

Any advice gratefully received, the first fixing is> in January.> > Ian D> >

Do You Yahoo!?
Get personalised at My Yahoo!.
Yahoo! Groups Sponsor