House wiring - follow up

  • To: "HA Yahoo group UK" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: House wiring - follow up
  • From: "Ian Davidson" <ian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 21:02:37 -0000

Hi all

Some of you may remember weeks ago I had a quote for the wiring to my new house which was exceptionally high. Well I resubmitted my details this time with their pricing i.e. for them to fit an extra telephone point it is £30-00. It would therefore follow to fit a RJ45 network point would also be £30-00 etc etc. It has taken them six weeks to get my new quote ready which again was not broken down and was over double the pricing I had worked out !

Has luck would have it I was working just a couple of miles down the road from there head office when I received the phone call telling me the price I decided to pay them a visit ! Whilst discussing my quote in there reception with a couple of members of staff a gentleman came by stopped and introduced himself as the MD of the building company and invited us all to his office. In the office I showed them a telephone point and RJ45 network point and explained that over £60.00 to install the network point was over the top which they then agreed. To cut a long story short there electrician is to wire all the mains electric (with some alterations at a price !) and I am allowed on site to wire for cat5e, alarm, tv etc. I also found out there electrician is not to pleased.

I know what cables I want and where I want them but are there any regs as to where I have to route these cables, I know for mains cables there are but what about the other stuff ?

What is the easiest way to cut out for the back boxes ? are there tools to make life easier and can they be hired ?

just trying to get prepared as I know there sparkie will be waiting for me to break a reg some where !

Any advice gratefully received, the first fixing is in January.

Ian D

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

For more information: http://www..automatedhome.co.uk