Is this safe for running Power and cat 5?

  • To: "UKHA Group" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Is this safe for running Power and cat 5?
  • From: "Mick Furlong" <dorsai@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 20:48:58 -0000

Hi all

I have a need to run power and Cat 5 to a speperate garage. I was intending
to run this underground but then thought of what may be an easier method
but
I am not sure it is safe.

Idea is to build a hollow beam out of wood...say 4 lengths of 4x1 giving a
6x4 beam...with a 4x2 hollow down the centre and to either run power down
one side , data down the other either with or without some kind of
seperator.

Questions are first would this be safe (beam would be at 8ft level)assuming
it is all properly weather protected. Second would the seperation between
cat 5 and the power be enough or would I need to bulid in some kind of
shielding?

thanks in advance

Mick