RE: OT : Multi ISP connections...

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: OT : Multi ISP connections...
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 08:41:03 +0000

>To be honest, I doubt bonding across different ISPs would work without
>something at the other end performing the appropriate tasks for
splitting
>transmission across the two channels so I suspect you would end up with
two
>64K connections rather than one 128K connection anyway. Might work OK
for
>multiple downloads I suppose.

The way the internet and the TCP/IP protocols are designed is to fully
support and expect fragmentation and multiple routes for a connection, so
as
long as you can get two internet connections running simultaneously on your
PC, the only "bonding" or aggregation that needs to take place is
there. (on
YOUR PC that is..) - The web server (or whatever) at the other end does not
need to know or care that you have multiple connections, even if they are
through different ISPs..

So, there's no reason why this should not work as intended (AFAIK).  - I.E.
2 64K connections to two different ISP's, aggregated at your end into a
single 128K pipe that you can then use as if it were a single 128K
connection..

As ever, all is AFAIK, so could be total arse!

Paul G.