Re: OT : Multi ISP connections...

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: OT : Multi ISP connections...
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 00:23:27 +0000

Phil,

With the right router, (such as the Draytek Vigor 2200 like I have), you
don't even need to use a 2nd ISDN modem to achieve this. - In the router
config it is possible to configure dual ISP's for ISDN dialup, and you can
then set Bandwidth-On-Demand dialling, with your own pre-set "high
watermark" and "low-watermark" levels.

You can also just set one ISP as a backup for the other if required...

So, with one of these, you could get a 128K ISDN pipe...

If you can't replace the router, and already have the 2nd modem, well in
that case, I think the answer is still yes... possibly, - depending on
which
version of Windows you are running...  certain windows versions have the
PPP
ML (PPP Multi-Link) protocol available as an option, (I know NT4 does, not
sure which others do). With which you can aggregate as many internet
connections as you have available... I've never actually used PPP ML, so I
can't really say much more than that, - but it is worth having a look see
if
you can add the PPP ML protocol in your network settings...

The RFC for the PPP ML protocol is RFC1717

HTH

Paul G.

>From: "Phil Harris" <phillip.harris1@xxxxxxx>
>To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
>Subject: [ukha_d] OT : Multi ISP connections...
>Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 23:57:10 -0000
>

>Anyone know whether it is possible to use an ISDN router and an ISDN
>modem together to dial up two different ISPs and agregate them into a
>single 128k channel? I have a V21 account (dialed by my router) and a
BT
>Surftime account (dialled by my modem manually when V21 is down) and I
>was wondering whether it is possible to use them together as a fatter
>pipe? (Neither ISP support 128k connections of course.)
>
>Phil

Paul G.