RE: OT : Multi ISP connections...

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: OT : Multi ISP connections...
  • From: "Mark Hetherington" <mark.egroups@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 00:32:47 -0000

Using HH, multi ISP connections are "possible" but whether they
will bond is
something I have never tried. I used to have a "free" connection
running all
the time but occasionally used the other channel to dial into freenetname
check for email or update a website there quite successfully. This was on
Win95 and Win95 OSR 2 but I have never had it working under Win98, Win98
SE,
WinNT or Win2K.

If I knew why I could once do it, I would be happy to share, but since I
originally assumed it was just supposed to be able to and only realised
after the upgrade of Windows that maybe it was not originally designed so,
never looked into the why. (Main difference is the HH drivers since the
Win95 ones refuse to work under Win98)

But, I can confirm that multiple DUN connections to different ISPs are
possible uner HH at least.

Demon seem to be one of the few ISPs supporting bonding to 128K but charge
both calls at local rates so it is not really much use since the advent of
Surftime et al.

To be honest, I doubt bonding across different ISPs would work without
something at the other end performing the appropriate tasks for splitting
transmission across the two channels so I suspect you would end up with two
64K connections rather than one 128K connection anyway. Might work OK for
multiple downloads I suppose.

Mark.

P.S. It was probably a rumour since I never did find out the where and how,
but there was once a group of people insisting they managed bonded
freephone
access when BT originally launched their 0800 number in the days before
surftime. The story went that a BT engineer claimed they were aware of the
issue but due to the small numbers of ISDN users, never bothered to fix it.
This "reason" made sense, since the 2 hour cutoff never worked on
ISDN on
the original ISDN 0800 number either. This one they half fixed by banning
modem connections from it once the lack of cutoff became common knowledge
and modem connections connected to the ISDN number instead of the modem
one.

BT