Re: [OT] Wacky!

<< I'm guessing that you haven't travelled in London much in the rush
hours
in the last few years ;-) >>

Actually, I lived on Edgware Road all last year and commuted to Picadilly,
then Chancery Lane until February this year.

<< I no longer get the tube, because the buses are quicker! Given I
come
into Victoria, most mornings there a "queue" OUTSIDE the
underground
station, as it's got too crowded in the concours downstairs, and they've
shut the main gates to prevent congestion. >>

It's not that busy on Edgware Road in the morning, I expect it's to do with
Victoria having the bus station, caoach station and main line railway.

<< Then there's a queue at the ticket gates, since the platforms are
overcrowded, and no-one's allowed to go down to platform level until
it's cleared. >>

Again, not a problem I've come across.

<< Then there's a crowd on the platform, so you normally have to wait
for
the second or third train to come along, since you can't squeeze onto
the first! >>

I've had to wait for the second tube once or twice at Victoria in the
evening (not going home!), but never the third.  Must be a morning problem.

<< However, as you say, it's still a lot better than using a car in
London
traffic. I work in Central London, and I would estimate that driving to
work would take 2 to 3 hours! >>

It would only have taken me 20 minutes by car to get to High Holborn, but
the problem I'd have would be parking when I got there.  The closest I
could
park would be Oxford Circus, as that's where the parking permit extends to.
Even then, that'd be difficult.  The fastest way to work for me was by
bike - 10 minutes to Picadilly, and 20 to Chancery Lane/High Holborn.

Andy
--
PC-Based Multimedia System
http://www.andylaurence.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/pcbmms