RE: OT - Phone Plugs

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: OT - Phone Plugs
  • From: "Mark Harrison" <Mark.Harrison@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 12:27:55 -0000

> in this context, line level = non-amplified.  Power amps/pre-amps
_might_
> apply slightly different terminology - but as I don't have any I'll
shut up!

There are three different "levels" of analogue connections you
might
come across in "normal" hi-fi:

"Line level" is typically a signal between -2 and +2 volts. This
signal
is typically put out by:

- CD / DVD players on phono plugs
- VCRs on either phono plugs OR certain pins on the SCART socket
- The "tape out" sockets on an amplifier
- The "pre-out" sockets on a pre-amplifier
.... you plug it into an amplifier (either integrated-, power- or active
speaker-)

"Phono" level is a much lower level put out by the cartridges of
record
decks. You either need a "phono stage", which is a separate box
that
takes phono level inputs, and has line level outputs, which then feed to
your amp OR you have an amp which has a built-in phono stage (and one
set of input sockets marked up a "phono", which you should NEVER
use for
a line-level source.) This gets confusing when you're talking since the
word "phono" is used with two differnt meanings. Firstly, these
lower-level input voltages. Secondly, the 3.5mm round sockets that both
"phono" (first meaning) AND line level signals can travel on.

"Speaker level" is typically between -50 to 50 volts. This
typically
comes out of either an integrated or a power amp, and goes to a PASSIVE
or ELECTROSTATIC speaker. If your speaker is just a "box with input
terminals" on it, it's passive. If your speaker has a mains lead
running
into it, it's either ACTIVE or ELECTROSTATIC. If it's Electrostatic, it
wants a "speaker level" input.

I am not aware of any electrostatic subwoofers on the market, so I'm
fairly certain that your S/W is ACTIVE. As such, it needs a "line
level"
input, since an ACTIVE speaker is effectively a speaker and an amplifier
in the same box. Given your S/W also has phono sockets, that just
re-inforces the view that this wants a line-level signal, not a
speaker-level one.

Regards,

Mark Harrison
Head of Systems, eKingfisher