RE: OT - Phone Plugs

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: OT - Phone Plugs
  • From: "James Hoye" <james.hoye@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 12:09:38 -0000

> I intended to take the amp SW out into wall plate, then down speaker
cable
> to sub input...but now I am not sure.
>
> The sub does have it's own power cable so I guess it is active -
> what signal
> should I be taking from the amp to the sub then?  Do I need to
> take the sub
> pre-out from the amp instead?

If the SW output on the amp is presented as a phono connector, then you can
assume that this will be at line level - non-amplified.  The fact that your
sub has a mains lead would indeed indicate it being an active type - ie.
with its own amplifier on-board.  You should really use proper screened
cable for this low-level signal (or KAT5).  Others can advise on the proper
type, impedance etc.

> BTW: What is line-level exactly - the amplified or non-amplified
signal?

in this context, line level = non-amplified.  Power amps/pre-amps _might_
apply slightly different terminology - but as I don't have any I'll shut
up!

> -Dan (Subwoofer Thicky)

Ah - the beauty of this group - ours is not to flame, ours it to educate!

James H