12v Halogens question...

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: 12v Halogens question...
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phillip.harris1@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 23:41:10 -0000

Title: Message
I have just bought some 50w 12v halogen bulbs and fittings ... they're going to be running from an LW11G German style wall light switch but I've also tested them on a mechanical dimmer too and they exhibit the same "problem" on both.

The problem is that the lamp unit itself buzzes when the lamp is dimmed ... at full brightness they make no noise but when dimmed they buzz loudly - the buzzing can be eliminated by holding the ceramic connector that goes onto the back of the bulb between the fingers. I have other 12v halogens that are not the same design but do not buzz when dimmed - my question is, is this "normal" behaviour? It is definitely not the transformers that buzz however they are electronic ones and possibly that is the reason - would wound transformers help?

I would have used 240v halogens but can't as I need a tight 8 or 10 degree beam to use as directed reading lights and I have been unable to source that design of 240v bulb.

Phil

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor