Noise Limiting

  • To: "UKHA Group" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Noise Limiting
  • From: "Mick Furlong" <dorsai@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 23:26:32 -0000

I don't think this is off topic so here goes....

A lot of you guys have lots of different sources for your AV feeds and
might
be able to help with this, I find that when switching between sources (or
even when the damn ads come on on NTL Analogue)the sound level jumps up and
down significantly.

This really bugs SWMBO as I am a bit of a night owl (it is not unusual to
find me working at 3am) and my office (with the essential TV) is right next
to the main bedroom.

So the problem is when I change source or when a particularly irritating
loud ad (The EA sports SSX Tricky ad is a real pain the volume seems about
twice normal!) comes on she is banging on the wall for me to turn the TV
down!

Now I know that there are AV amps available with noise limiting (or is it
called dynamic compression?) my question is can I do this with less
expensive equipment such as a circuit or device between the TV Audio out
and
a standard stereo amp to reduce the volume of the louder passages to a
preset level for example?

I have probably got all the terminology incorrect but I am sure you guys
can
figure out what I am trying to do and can hopefully come up with a
solution.

My apologies to all the purists who think that the sound should never be
messed with ;)

Cheers
Mick