RE: First visit under the barter scheme

  • To: "'ukha_d@xxxxxxx'" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: First visit under the barter scheme
  • From: Chris Langridge <chrisl@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 21:41:56 -0000

Graham,

For backup you need to consider a couple of things:

1 touch restore: useful if you go down often but not really critical unless
you have biz class systems which will cost you $xxx for every hour of down
time.

Media for backing up to: 15 - 20 gig is affordable (from memory around
=A34=
00
- 600 for a class 4 DAT drive). But this is no good if you have heaps of
music and multimedia shit. You can easily creap into the 100+ gig range. In
this sceanrio I highly recommend a Snap server. The cool thing about Snap
servers is their low cost, their xplatform compatability, and their 10
minute (yes it's true) setup time.

Infact Snap servers are so user friendly (cheap 'n' easy) that I will soon
get a second. We use one for general storage, just like a file server, and
then will use the second as a nightly backup in a different physical
location to the first. That way, you have  a measure of security in case of
fire and theft. Still, using this set up, a DAT drive is still useful for
doing weekly or perhaps monthly tape backups. A half dozen class 4 tapes
will hold 100 gig - the bitch of it is that you have to change the tapes -
hence once a month may be enough.

HTH

Chris