RE: OT: Optical and coaxial digital outputs for PCM, Dolby Digital, DTS and MPEG

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: OT: Optical and coaxial digital outputs for PCM, Dolby Digital, DTS and MPEG
  • From: "Kenneth Watt" <kennwatt@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 18:48:09 -0000

>=20
> A challenge... ok I will bite, on a DTS connection via coax/phono
fudge I
> hear nothing, over the digital lead, I hear DTS sound. I think even a
> non-audophile might pick that one up :)

[Kenneth Watt]=20
IIRC, the DTS soundtrack is recorded at a 10db gain over DD for the
cinema audiences as the amps used are generally set to a pre-determined
level then left well alone...hence greater impact with Joe Public.

To my ears DTS and DD are pretty much on a level pegging, yes, DTS does
have an extended range but you really have to be listening seriously to
take notice of it. If, as is intended, you are immersed in the movie the
subtle differences are lost IMO.
=20
> Seriously though, I guess it depends on the equipment, but my DVD
player
> at
> least will not send a DTS signal over anything but the optical
connection,
> but I was quite happy with a simple phono lead running my digital
sound in
> the pre DTS days.

[Kenneth Watt]=20

The DTS and DD bitstream are outputted together to both analogue and
digital interconnects on any player I have ever come across. Personally,
I prefer the analogue ones but it's just a preference not a necessity, I
think that the analogue signal is not as "harsh" as a digital
one, but
that could just be down to my hearing. This is borne from using a
Micromega CD3, =A32500 CD player with both analogue and digital out, I
just preferred the analogue on that and I stuck with it. In theory this
makes no difference to the sound of DD or DTS as it is a digital
transport system that is decoded and reproduced through your amp or
processor, it is far more likely that it is here that you hear the
difference and not in the leads or bitstream.

My optical lead didn't cost that much anyway (bought
> from
> M*****s, poss on offer at the time).

[Kenneth Watt]=20

I find this c**p about leads quite annoying at times, as has been said
over short runs there is virtually no signal loss, I certainly cannot
hear it and I do listen to music seriously now and then. Between optical
leads I have yet to hear a measurable difference, co-axial there are
very subtle differences but they are *very* subtle and you need a bloody
good setup to hear it as well as very good recording. Try the Eagles,
Hell Freezes Over in either DTS or stereo, Don Henley - The End Of The
Innocence in DTS or stereo or Eric Clapton - Unplugged, these are the
albums I use for reference as I know they sound excellent on a well set
up system.

Just an opinion of course, what you hear is what you hear!

K.