First visit under the barter scheme

  • To: "UKHA List (E-mail)" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: First visit under the barter scheme
  • From: "Graham P. Howe" <graham@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 15:09:13 -0000

This is a little late, but I just thought I'd say a public 'thank you
very much' to Ian who came over on Tuesday night and tackled my home
network. He has left me with a much improved system with everything
(PCs, printers, wired and wireless ePODs, DDARs) getting IP addresses
and Domain Names from the SBS Server through DHCP. Everything also is
onw correctly set up with WINS so internal names are recognised
immediately. My server is free of error messages in the event logs and
everything seems to be noticably quicker for both internal and external
connections. The return visit for LAN cabling is subject to SWMBO
approval, but once he has it, I will be round to assist.

There is still stuff that I think needs attention here, in particular I
am not at all confident with the Exchange Server setup (Paul G are you
reading this ;-) and I'm sure that there are other things I should be
using it for, like newsgroups and messaging. I also have Exchange on my
co-located server and would like advice as to how that might be best
utilised.

Another area that needs urgent attention is backup, I'm ashamed to say
that right now I have none. When I had a peer-to-peer network I simply
copied the neture network drive to another disk every night, but now
that I have the server things are not so simple. I need to be able to
back up data files, Exchange, IIS and SQL Server.

As before, anyone who can help will be compensated with anything I can
offer (....no Paul and Phil, *that* is not on offer!), such as web
hosting, web design, cabling etc etc.

Regards

Graham