RE: SMS text message service

  • To: "'ukha_d@xxxxxxx'" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: SMS text message service
  • From: "Stainton-James, Mark (London)" <stainmar@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 12:42:56 -0000

Thank you all for your comments - once again this group IS the font of all knowledge !!!

To summarize:

My requirement is to get a text message as a result of a HomeSeer event - the easiest way to do this seems to be to fire off an email which some external provider will then forward it to my mobile as a text message (sorry I explained this badly before)

U-Boot.com - Seems to be a free service. I have started the registration process, but am still waiting for the 'security code' to be sent (50mins. So far).Verdict: I'll tell you when I get their message !!

Vizzavi.co.uk/Orange.net -  Free service from Vodafone/Orange, text messages from the web are received instantly, although I can find no way of sending the whole sms message as a single line >from -weight: normal'>Verdict: great service, although not exactly what I need - explained this badly in the original mail. The received text message contains a bit of advertising which is a pain.

Iobox.com - Email to SMS message costs 19p a message. Couple of test mail I have sent confirms it is almost instant.  Verdict: You get what you pay for. Love it

Sms-wap.com - looks great if you are a business user, as a private individual the cost is $0.15 per message Verdict: Didn't test

Lycos.co.uk - provides 10 free text messages, if you want additional services you pay by the way of 'credits' - you dial a premium rate number £1.50 a minute and after 2.5 minutes of waiting you have 75 credits. Verdict: instant delivery, but can't see a way to interface with HomeSeer.

Mark

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
See the Trailer!

For more information: http://www..automatedhome.co.uk