RE: OT: Optical and coaxial digital outputs for PCM, Dolby Digital, DTS and MPEG

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: OT: Optical and coaxial digital outputs for PCM, Dolby Digital, DTS and MPEG
  • From: "Mark Harrison" <Mark.Harrison@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 09:16:20 -0000

Steven,

Well. In principle a "normal" phono cable (ie one half of a pair
intended for analogue stereo) will be 'bad', but it will work over short
distances (like - adjacent shelves on a hi-fi rack.)

Next step up, for about a tenner is a "video" cable. This looks
identical, except it's normally provided with yellow ends, and has the
correct impedance.

Above that are rather more expensive cables ;-)

Richer Sounds used to do a deal whereby you would pay a deposit, and
take away a box full of cables for the weekend. On the monday, you'd
either bring them back, or pay for the ones you wanted to keep. Not sure
if they still do this, though.

As Phil and James have said, the only questions you need to ask are
"can
_I_ hear the difference in _my_ system", and "if I can, is _this_
difference worth paying _that_ amount of money for"

Regards,
Mark Harrison
Head of Systems, eKingfisher
****
Kingfisher plc
Registered Office: North West House, 119 Marylebone Road, London NW1 5PX

Registered in England, Number 1664812
This e-mail is only intended for the person(s) to whom it is addressed
and
may contain confidential information.  Unless stated to the contrary,
any
opinions or comments are personal to the writer and do not represent the

official view of the company.  If you have received this e-mail in
error,
please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this
message
>from
disclose its contents to any other person.  Thank you for your
co-operation.
****