RE: Recomendation for Humidity Sensors and for Lux Sensors

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Recomendation for Humidity Sensors and for Lux Sensors
  • From: "Kenneth Watt" <kennwatt@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2001 13:36:46 -0000

> From: Chris Langridge [mailto:chrisl@xxxxxxx]
>=20
> Guys,
>=20
> Have any of you got any experience with tying the following into HV
>=20
> HUMIDIDTY SENSOR
> For example would it make sense to use one to operate a Fan in a
utility
> room rather than a fan with a built in humidistat (where the trigger
point
> is always preset)

[Kenneth Watt]=20

I did something similar in my bathroom but without the humidity sensor,
which I would have liked to try, where the fan only comes on during the
day as there is no sense in it coming on at night when no-one is having
a shower and it cuts down on noise. Can you not ask the fan to operate
on a timed schedule based on the time of year or the time of day?

I had looked at humidity sensors, but I struggled to find the Bobcat
sensors that can be used with the Ocelot controller (they also do a
light sensor so that answers the next bit as well) but I do not know if
they can be used with HV, yet! They are quite expensive though,
relatively speaking, at =A381.08 for the humidity sensor and =A369.33 for
the light sensor so multiple installations would require some thought as
to what you actually *need*.
=20
> I need a humidity sensor in our larder too to prevent too much mould
> growing
> on the cheese. (Don't laugh Mike, It's no different from keeping the
disks
> on the Porche dry :-)) So any recommendations would be great + a
choice of
> cabling.
>=20
> OUTSIDE LUX SENSOR
> This is for your basic lighting control. For example: no point in
having
> an
> occupancy PIR turn on the bathroom lights in the middle of the day. So
> figured on one (or maybee two) outside sensors to set a threshold in
HV.
> Any
> recommendation here for a unit + a choice of cable?

[Kenneth Watt]=20

I can suggest the option above, the Bobcat sensor if it can work with
HV, or a PR511 as this has dusk/dawn control on it anyway as well as
status reporting, plus you get a "smart" security light into the
bargain! Given the price of the Bobcat sensor and the price of a PR511 I
would say that the PR511 from either Laser or Let's Automate is the way
to go here.

> Comfort will want to know about the light levels too. How is this info
> best
> passed to Comfort? Or would you recommend that a security system has
it's
> own dedicated lux sensor?
>
> Chris
=20
[Kenneth Watt]=20

Again, use the X10 signal from a PR511 unless you wish to report
specific light levels, but if you are using HV anyway then I find that
the dawn/dusk times in HV are pretty reliable. Back that up with a bit
of programming using the PR511 and the schedule is near enough bullet
proof, lighting should operate as you want it to.

HTH

K.