RE: Seagate Hard Drives

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Seagate Hard Drives
  • From: "Des Gibbons" <des@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 23:36:28 -0000

> > So I told them that the place I bought it off went bust, so she
> asked for
> > the serial number and model number of the drive, then tells me
that the
> > drive only has a one year warranty as it was an OEM drive.
>

> That is standard, the reason that OEM drives are cheaper is that
> there is no
> support supplied by the manafacturer. Imagine if a PC was built
> from pieces
> "Off the shelf" - they would be twice the price at least.

Support and warranty are 2 separate issues. I must admit that I didn't know
Component shifters could actually reduce the price they pay by only taking
one year warranty with the drives, but you learn something new every day.

> > Remind me never ever to buy anything from Seagate again!!
> >
> > Any time I have had a Maxtor hard drive fail, I go straight to
> maxtor who
> do
> > advanced replacements, now thats a company I will be doing
business with
> > again!
>
> Which they had no obligation to do. If there is a warentee supplied by
the
> wholesaler/manafacturer then the retailers will usually say "1
year
> manafacturers warentee" If a retailer offers more then the
manafacturer,
> then its up to the retailer to solve it.

Actually, they do, as all maxtor drives have a 3 yr warranty, the warranty
end date is actually printed on the drive.

I had assumed, naively that other manufacturers who advertise their drives
as having a 3 yr warranty, would explicitly say that the warranty would be
cut by two thirds if you don't buy it in a certain way.

Anyway, just leaves me as a Maxtor slave, hope they don't go bust now :)

Des